Monday, August 20, 2018

IAJGS2018 - Part 3

This is the third in a series of posts about IAJGS2018.  You can read other posts I've made from this and other IAJGS conferences here.

Since I woke up early (thanks, jet-lag!), I walked down the block to the Monument Commemorating the Evacuation of Warsaw Ghetto Fighters.  It was kind of oddly placed, since it's currently right in front of a perfume store.  I then continued walking to see a remaining fragment of the ghetto wall, which is currently in the middle of a parking lot.
Monument Commemorating the Evacuation of Warsaw Ghetto Fighters

I then went to my first talk of the day, where Jordan Auslander gave an overview of Hungarian research.  The main things I took away that were new to me were that FamilySearch has many (unindexed) Hungarian obituaries and that I need to spend some time on two websites: rakovszky.net and mapire.eu.

Jordan then continued by leading the H-SIG meeting, since Vivian Kahn wasn't at the conference. 

Jordan Auslander, Talking Hungary
Jordan talked about what H-SIG has been doing this past year as well as ongoing initiatives.  Several people talked about other projects going on within Hungary (Sandy Malek discussed the Maramaros project, and I gave a short plug for the Subcarpathia SIG).
Karesz Vander talking Hungarian Vital Records

Continuing the Hungary theme, I listened to Karesz Vandor speaking about "Accuracy of Hungarian Jewish and Civil Vital Registers and Late Notes."  I've done a lot of work with these registers, and Karesz did a great job covering the kind of detail that late notes can contain, as well as real-world examples of how accurate these registers' entries are (and sometimes are not).  I need to pay more attention to late notes!

The next morning started early, where I gave the Subcarpathia SIG Update.  We've done a lot of work, getting over 30,000 records indexed and online.  We can use more volunteers to index and donors to fund records acquisition (hint, hint).
Janette Silverman with a Ukraine SIG Update

Then I went to the Ukraine SIG update, where Janette Silverman talked about some of the ongoing projects--including the just-finished-being-indexed 1816 Belaya Tserkov census.  Lots of great projects are ongoing, and they can use volunteers to help get through the masses of data that have been acquired!
Leading up to the Ukraine SIG lunch

And then I was off to the Ukraine SIG lunch.  Three people spoke about their experiences traveling in Ukraine.  I spoke first (you can read about my trip here), then Phyllis Grossman, and finally Anna Royzner.  Everyone had a different perspective.  It was an enjoyable lunch!

More to come, probably one more post.

Note:  I'm on Twitter.  Follow me (@larasgenealogy).

Want to get future blog posts emailed to you automatically?
Enter your email address:


2 comments:

  1. Am curious about what Anna & Phyllis said about Ukraine travel & when they went? Anything to shed on that?

    Monument placement there sounds rather like an afterthought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t remember the town Phyllis spoke about. Anna spoke more generically about various types of records.

      Delete