Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Yehoshua Zev Lefand - Ancestor Deep Dive

Now time for a break from conference recaps--so back to the regularly scheduled blog!

My great-great-great grandfather Yehoshua Zev Lefand was born around 1851.  As his family was registered in Nezhin, Russian Empire (now Ukraine) and he was married there, he was likely born in Nezhin as well.  His father was named Ber; unfortunately there were several Ber Lefands living in Nezhin at this time, so other than a hypothesis, I'm not completely certain of Yehoshua Zev's mother's name.

On April 28, 1871, Yehoshua Zev married Mira Halperin.
Marriage Record for Yehoshua Zev and Mira (Halperin) Lefand, Nezhin, Ukraine, 1871

Between 1874 and 1882, they had at least 5 children:
  • Pesha Riva (my great-great grandmother), born 1874
  • Nechemia, born 1875
  • Sara Margolia, born 1876
  • Meyer, born 1879
  • Leib, born 1882
Birth Record for Nechemia Lefand, Nezhin, Ukraine, 1875
Yehoshua Zev died at the age of 30 on July 24, 1881; the death record simply said that he died of an illness.  Mira gave birth to Leib nearly 9 months later, on April 10, 1882.
Death Record for Yehoshua Zev Lefand, Nezhin Ukraine, 1881

2 comments:

  1. I’m a cousin. My mother’s father was Leib Louis Leiffand. I live in Pittsburgh. My name is Norton Lewis Gusky. My Jewish middle name is Leib after my grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi cousin! I’d love to be in touch. Please email me at laradiamond at gmail dot com

      Delete