Monday, March 28, 2016

My Haplogroup Tree

Inspired by J. Paul Hawthorne's Colorful Ancestry Charts which look at ancestor birthplaces, I looked at my ancestral haplogroups--both yDNA and mtDNA.  (yDNA is passed down from fathers to their sons; mitochondrial DNA is passed down from mothers to their children.)  And here's what I got:
Mapping My Haplogroups

Men are colored based on yDNA haplogroup; women by mtDNA haplogroup.  I went out to my great-great-great grandparents, which is as far out as I would have had to add new colors, based on those who have tested.

One thing that jumped out at me initially is that my two sets of grandparents had identical haplogroups--both of my grandfathers' yDNA was from the J-M172 haplogroup, and both of my grandmothers' mtDNA haplogroup was K1a1b1a.

And what does my geographic ancestry chart look like?  Kind of boring.  I'm kind of glad there's a smidge of Belarus in there to break up all that Ukraine!
#MyColorfulAncestry

Note:  I'm on Twitter.  Feel free to follow me (@larasgenealogy).

Want to get future blog posts emailed to you automatically?
Enter your email address:

2 comments:

  1. How interesting. You share haplotypes with both sides of my father's parents. Y is J-m172 and his MT DNA is K1a1b1a. The Y is the Gidden side from Ropczyce, Poland and the MT DNA is from the Grodziensky side from several towns in the Grodno/Bialystok area. I know the connection must be pretty far back because you are my 4th-remote cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara,


    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2016/04/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-april-1-2016.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete