Sunday, March 20, 2016

Shmuel Moshe Rutner's Death

My great-great grandparents were Shmuel Moshe and Rochel (nee Fuchs) Rutner.  I didn't know when he died; when my grandmother Minnie's older brother (my Uncle Izzy) came to America in 1920, both Shmuel Moshe and Rochel were still alive.  Izzy's and Minnie's younger sister Ruth's Hebrew name was Rochel; Ruth was born in 1927, so Rochel likely died between 1920 and 1927.  But no one in my part of the family was named for Shmuel Moshe until the 1960s, by which time he would have been well over 100 years old.

But now I know when he died:
Mosko Ruttner Death Record, 1928
Moško Ruttner, a Jewish farmer living in Dulovo, died on July 7, 1928 at the age of 74 of old age.  His wife was the late Ruchel Fuchs (confirming that Rochel died before 1928--but there is no death record for her).  His father is Mendel Ruttner (correct), while his mother is listed as Itta Majerovičová.  While there were Majorovics living in the area, there are several other sources (including Shmuel Moshe's marriage record, his self-reported delayed birth record, and his mother's death record) all have her surname as Farkas.
Signatures on Mosko Ruttner's Death Record
The death was reported by Saja Lax.  Shmuel Moshe's nephew David was married to a Rochel Lax.  Possibly Saja was related to her.  He may have been distant enough to have not known the correct maiden name for Itta (who had died in 1914), his grandmother-in-law.

The fact that he was a farmer in Dulovo may imply that he was farming his grandfather's land, but I don't know that for sure at this point.  Looks like I'm going to have to start finding land records!

Note:  I'm on Twitter.  Feel free to follow me (@larasgenealogy).

Want to get future blog posts emailed to you automatically?
Enter your email address:

4 comments:

  1. Maybe a shul yahrzeir board in Baltimore will have the date for Rochel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be McKeesport, and she wasn't there.

      Delete
    2. I would look where her children prayed, regardless of where she died. Was that McKeesport?

      Delete