Sunday, March 6, 2016

Eizik Vizel, 1828 Hungarian Tax Census

When I was at RootsTech this past month, I spent the entire Monday before the conference at the Family History Library going through roll after roll of microfilm.

Near closing time, they started making announcements that there were 30--and then 15--minutes remaining, so I just started taking photographs of images without looking at anything.  This week I looked through them--and this "strategy" got me information I probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Last week, I wrote about how I discovered that my great-great-great-great grandparents were Eizik and Eidel Vizel from Nagy-Kirva.  I did not know that when I was in Salt Lake City.  But it seems that in my mad rush to photograph as much as possible, I photographed the 1828 Hungarian property tax census for Nagy Kirva!
1828 Hungarian Property Tax Census for Nagy- and Kis-Kirva, Cover Page

And looking through the hastily-photographed contents of the town's census, I saw the following:

1828 Hungarian Property Tax Census for Nagy- and Kis-Kirva, Page 3
On line 51 was listed "Ajzik Vizel, Jud (Jew)."  This was a year or two before my great-great-great grandmother Malka was born.  Similar to early US census records, only the heads of household were listed, but there are numbers of other individuals living in that household.

Ajzik's household consisted of two people.  Unfortunately in my rush to photograph, I cut off part of the page, so I'll be ordering the microfilm to be sent locally to get the rest of the information.
1828 Hungarian Property Tax Census for Nagy- and Kis-Kirva, Page 3 Closeup
Interestingly, the individual enumerated directly before Ajzik Vizel was another Jewish man, Abraham Vizel.  This could potentially be Ajzik's father or brother, but there's not enough information here to know for sure.

Note:  I'm on Twitter.  Feel free to follow me (@larasgenealogy).

Want to get future blog posts emailed to you automatically?
Enter your email address:

2 comments:

  1. My filing system, when I maintain it properly, works on the principle that I must look at every document several times over a long period, before it reaches its final file folder, whether paper or digital.

    I throw it into a box. Then some months later, sort the box into a sectioned cardbord file (there must be a name for them in English, but I know it only in Hebrew, as a sadran). That requires reading everything again.

    Only some months later is the sadran sorted into individual files, at which time I have to read them a third time and in filing I also look at the previously filed documents, which suddenly may take on significance I hadn't know about before.

    See a discussion at http://allmyforeparents.blogspot.co.il/2014/01/filing.html

    ReplyDelete