Sunday, February 23, 2020

My Prestigious (Possible) 5th Great Grandfather

My great-great-great-great-great grandfather was Avraham Rutner, who is said to have come from Galicia to Maramaros.  So far, I've been able to link all Rutners who lived in the Maramaros Megye of Hungary (now split between Subarpathian Ukraine and northern Romania) to being his descendants.

Distant cousins have said that he was also a wealthy man, but I've never seen anything to prove (or refute) that fact.  Until now--maybe.

Hazai's Külföldi Tudósítások; January-June 1827

The January-June 1827 edition of Hazai's Külföldi Tudósítások (Domestic's Foreign Reports) notes that after the death of Antal Ruttner, who controlled the taxation of the salt mines in and around Sziget, János Steiger got his empty position.

I've indexed thousands of vital records from this area, and I've seen that many Jewish Abrahams are often referred to as Antal (and Adolf).  Sziget, now Sighetu Marmației, Romania, is under 30 miles from where my Avraham lived in Darva (now Kolodne, Ukraine).

Now, I'm pretty sure that my Avraham died around 1815, based on a census in which his wife was listed as head of household as well as when a grandson was born with his name.  Could there have been some kind of controversy that led to his salt mine taxation position's replacement not being named for a dozen years?  Could this be another Rutner whose descendants took another surname?  Or something else?  Would a Jew have been given such a position at that time in history?

I do like salt, so who knows....  But at this point, I'm not attaching this to my ancestor in my tree.  Even though I'd like to know if this salt mine taxation person is my ancestor or some sort of relation.  Any ideas, anyone?

You can like my page on Facebook:


or .

Want to get future blog posts emailed to you automatically?
Enter your email address:

1 comment:

  1. No ideas, Lara, but you continue to amaze me! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

    ReplyDelete