Sunday, July 15, 2018

Discovering my 6th Great Grandfather

Now that I can access lots of Nezhin vital records and tax poll censuses from home (see if your own town's records are covered by following the directions here), I've been slowly going through them.  And there are many thousands of images.

The vital records start in the 1850s, and in the 1858 death records, I found an exciting (to me) record.
Meir Lefand Death Record, 1858

Meir Lefand was my 5th great grandfather.  He died at the age of 63 on November 27, 1852, the 45th Jewish male death in Nezhin of the year.

And that's not all of the information that it gives.
Meir Lefand Death Record Closeup, 1858
Meir's father--my 6th great grandfather--is named in Meir's death record.  I now know that my 6th great grandfather was Efrayim Lefand!  Meir would have been born around 1795, so Efrayim was likely born well into the middle of the 18th century.

Note:  I'm on Twitter.  Follow me (@larasgenealogy).

Want to get future blog posts emailed to you automatically?
Enter your email address:

2 comments:

  1. Lara: Did this line actually have a surname (Lefand) in the 1700's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know for sure. The earliest reference is in 1850s metrical records, and there is a surname. But I don't know when it was adopted (yet).

      Delete