Saturday, December 12, 2015

Mindel Joshowitz's Death, Two New Ancestors, and a New Ancestral Surname

I knew that my grandmother Minnie was named for her grandmother, Mindel Eizikovics Joshowitz.  And I knew that Mindel, whose husband was Chaim, died in Europe, at some point before my grandmother's cousin Minnie was born in 1916.  But that's all I knew--until now.
Death Record for "Minda Eizikovics," wife of Chajim Joszovics

Minda Eizikovics, wife of "Chajim Joszovics" died in Darva, Austria-Hungary (today's Kolodne, Subcarpathian Ukraine) on April 23, 1914, at 3PM.  Her parents are given as Hers and Roza (nee Motyovics) Eizikovics--the first time I've heard my great-great-great grandparents' names!

Mindel was 62 when she died, implying she was born around 1852.

The death was reported by Samuel Zelikovits, whose relationship with my family I do not know (yet).

Note:  I recently joined Twitter.  Feel free to follow me (@larasgenealogy).


Want to get future blog posts emailed to you automatically?
Enter your email address:

3 comments:

  1. Lara,
    I am looking for family of Fradel EIZIKOVITS, daughter of Yitzhak Eizik and Gitel. Fradel married Yitzhak STERN from Felso Szelistye, Maramaros and is buried in Sighet. Any of these names familiar to you? Fradel's daughter Gizela married my second cousin Simcha ADLER from Sighet.
    Happy new year!
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at this point, but I'm going through some new records, and perhaps I'll see a connection.

      Delete